Project Seagrass is a marine conservation charity who are working on protecting seagrass meadows. We have partnered with them as their mission resonates with us - SAVING SEAGRASS MEANS SAVING OUR SEAS.
Seagrasses are flowering plants that live in shallow sheltered areas along our coasts. Not only do they provide homes for many animals, but they have bright green leaves and vast root structures that help capture carbon at a rate greater than that of tropical forests.
Climate change is important to us and we are aware that carbon is a contributing factor of this. We support Project Seagrass because it is a great way of capturing carbon.
Why is seagrass better at capturing carbon than other plants?
I am sure you have heard before the benefit of planting trees to offset carbon footprints - this is because trees help to absorb the carbon from the atmosphere, however, it takes trees many years to mature and maximise impact. Alongside that, the increase in the number of wildfires is contributing extra carbon into the atmosphere, which is counter productive.
Seagrasses absorb and store carbon 35 times more efficiently than rainforests. Grasses have deep complex root systems that help maximise their ability to store carbon in the soil. They also grow much quicker and provide many benefits to soil health, which in turn, helps it retain carbon even better.
We support protection of Seagrass Meadows so that the impact of global greenhouse gas emissions can be reduced.
Project Seagrass impact so far has seen:
Project Seagrass's impact spans globally with initiatives across 14 countries and involving thousands of volunteers. Their most noteworthy impact projects include:
- Seagrass Ocean Rescue: They've revitalised UK seagrass and reduced its carbon impact through the Seagrass Ocean Rescue project.
- Dugong and Seagrass Research Toolkit: Their expert-developed toolkit advances marine research and conservation outcomes.
- Empowering Communities: In Southeast Asia, they're empowering communities for seagrass conservation, enhancing local influence and food security.
- Holistic Approach: From education to innovative tech, they emphasise seagrass meadows' unmatched carbon sequestration ability, surpassing rainforests.
By donating to Project Seagrass we are helping our planets...
- SEAGRASS - 1ha of seagrass is lost every hour
- WILDLIFE - 1000’s of species depend on seagrass for food and shelter
- CLIMATE - Seagrass absorbs vast amounts of carbon
- COMMUNITIES - Seagrass provides food security and livelihood support